- 400g (12oz) tinned tuna in oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 good handfuls of green beans, trimmed
- 3-4 baby gem lettuces
- 200g (6½oz) small ripe tomatoes, halved
- Olive oil
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- 20 black olives
- Drain the tuna and reserve the oil.
- Place the eggs in a large saucepan of cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for 6 minutes. 3 minutes before the end of cooking time, add the beans. When tender, remove the beans with tongs and set aside. Drain the eggs and cover with cold water.
- Separate the lettuce into leaves and combine them with the tomatoes and cooked beans.
- Add enough olive oil to the oil reserved from the tuna to make up about 100ml (3½fl oz). Transfer to a screw-top jar, add the lemon juice and mustard, and shake well. Pour about half the dressing over the leaves, season well and toss to combine.
- When ready to serve, transfer the leaves to a platter and top with the olives and tuna. Peel the eggs and cut into quarters, then scatter over the salad. Pour over a little extra dressing, if desired. Season with a little salt and pepper.
A mixture of different types of tomatoes works well with this salad. You can prepare all the ingredients up to 2 hours before serving. Simply combine the ingredients and pour over the dressing when ready to serve.