- Sunflower oil
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground turmeric
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, freshly grated
- 300g (10 oz) fresh crab meat
- 2tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- Chutney, to serve
- Heat the oven to 180°c (gas mark 4). Heat 1tbsp of oil in a frying pan and add the spices, onion and ginger. Fry, stirring regularly, for about 2 mins.
- Add the crab meat, coriander and chilli to taste. Mix well and cook for a further 2-3 mins.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, zest and spring onions. Take 1 sheet of the filo pastry, brush lightly with a little oil and fold in half lengthways.
- Put a spoonful of the crab mixture in one corner and fold the pastry over to make a triangle. Continue to fold the triangle along the strip, sealing the edges with a little oil. Repeat to make 8 samosas.
- Place the triangles (seam-side down) on a baking sheet and roast in the hot oven for 15-20 mins, or until golden and crisp. Serve with salad and chutney.
You can use a combination of white and brown crab meat. The samosas can be made up to 1 day ahead.