- 1 kg Brussel sprouts, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 250g lardons or cubetti or streaky bacon cut into strips
- 250ml double cream
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Cook the Brussel sprouts in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for about 5-7 minutes, or until just tender. Drain and refresh in a bowl cold water. When cool, drain well and slice the sprouts in half. This can be done up to 24 hours ahead of serving.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the lardons and cook over a medium-low heat until they start to become crisp.
- While the lardons are cooking, bring the cream and garlic to the boil in a small saucepan.
- When the lardons are crisp add the halved sprouts to the frying pan and heat, stirring, until heated through. Add the cream, mixing well. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Transfer to serving dish.
The sprouts can be cooked the day before needed and refrigerated until time to add the cream and finish them off.