- 4tbsp roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1tbsp roughly chopped mint leaves
- 2tbsp roughly chopped basil leaves
- 2tbsp capers, drained
- 2 anchovy fillets in oil, drained
- 1 clove garlic
- 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 125ml (4fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Finely chop the parsley, mint, basil, capers, anchovy fillets and garlic on a chopping board or whizz briefly in a food processor.
- Scoop into a bowl and stir in the mustard, lemon juice and olive oil. Season well with sea salt. You can make the salsa verde up to 6 hours ahead of time - if doing this, stir well before serving.
Grilled fish, roasted or steamed chicken, roast lamb, steamed beans or asparagus, boiled new potatoes.
A classic pesto is made in a similar way. Wash and dry 2 bunches basil and place in a food processor with 25g (¾oz) toasted pine nuts, 2 crushed cloves garlic, 50g (1¾oz) freshly grated Parmesan. With the processor on, add 100-150ml (3½-4½fl oz) olive oil in a thin stream until well combined.