- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2tbsp roughly chopped basil leaves
- 100ml (3½fl oz) olive oil
- 16 large raw king prawns
- 2 lemons cut into thin wedges
- Basil mayonnaise
- Combine the garlic, lemon zest, basil and olive oil in a bowl. Add the prawns and toss well. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to marinate in the fridge for about 2 hours. Remove from the fridge about 10 minutes before cooking, so they lose their chill.
- Thread each prawn onto a stainless steel skewer, inserting the skewer into the tail of each prawn and then threading the skewer through the centre of the prawn so that the prawn is kept straight. Halve the lemon wedges and thread one onto each skewer. Metal skewers are preferable, but use soaked bamboo, if desired.
- Cook the prawns on a hot grill plate of a barbecue or on a preheated heavy grill pan or frying pan for about 1 minute on each side, or until cooked. Prawns will continue to cook for a minute after removing from the heat - be careful not to overcook them or they will be dry.
- To eat, peel them and squeeze over some of the grilled lemon.
The prawns are delicious served with basil mayonnaise. To make basil mayonnaise, add 2tbsp chopped basil and 2tsp lemon juice to 250ml good quality mayonnaise.