- 80g butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1tsp mustard powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 125ml double cream
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- 2tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2tsp chopped chives
- 40g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- 150g cream cheese
- 60g grated cheddar cheese
- 350g tinned crab meat, drained
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (gas mark 3). Melt half the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Cook the garlic and shallots for 2-3 minutes, or until softened. Add the mustard powder, cayenne pepper and cream.
- Bring to a simmer and slowly whisk in the cream cheese and allow to cook, stirring constantly over a low heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, then add the crab meat, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and the chives.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix, then transfer to a heatproof bowl.
- Melt the remaining butter, then add the breadcrumbs and chopped parsley. Sprinkle over the crab and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm.
This dip is great served warm with melba toast. You can make it up to the end of step 1 ahead of time and proceed from step 2 when you're ready to serve.