- 250g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 125g (4oz) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 185g (6oz) caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100ml (3fl oz) milk
- 2 strawberries, hulled
- 200g (6½) mascarpone
- 4tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- Heat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4). Line a 12-hole cupcake tin with paper cases. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the soft butter, sugar, vanilla essence and eggs, and beat with an electric beater on a low speed for 2 minutes, or until combined. Stir in the milk.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the cupcake cases and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden and firm to the touch. A skewer inserted in the centre of a cupcake should come out clean. Remove the cakes from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- While they are cooling, make the icing. Mash the strawberries in a bowl with a fork, add the mascarpone and sifted icing sugar to the bowl, and beat with a wooden spoon until combined. Chill the mixture for about 30 minutes.
- To serve, slice off the top of each cake, then cut each one in half (to make the 'wings'). Spoon a tablespoon of strawberry icing onto the top of each cake and press in the wings. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
To keep the cupcake papers looking nice and clean, line each tin with two or three of them, before filling with the cake batter as normal.