- 800g (1lb 10oz) ripe plums
- 75g (2½oz) golden caster sugar
- 2 sweet tangerines
- 1 small egg white
- An electric citrus juicer (optional)
- An ice-cream maker (optional)
- 6 ice lolly moulds with sticks
- Halve, stone and slice the plums. Put the plum flesh in a saucepan and add the sugar and 200ml (6½fl oz) cold water. Bring to the boil then cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the sugar has dissolved and the plums are just tender.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a food processor or a blender. Cut the tangerines in half. Extract the juice using an electric citrus juicer or a traditional juicer. You will need about 100ml (3½fl oz) of juice. Add the tangerine juice to the food processor and blend with the plums until smooth. Allow the mixture to cool.
- When cool, transfer the mixture to an ice-cream maker and churn until thick. If making the sorbet by hand, place the mixture in a shallow freezer-proof container and freeze for 4 hours until slushy.
- Whisk the egg white in a grease-free bowl until frothy and add to the mixture in the ice-cream maker. Continue to churn until thick enough to scoop. If making by hand, simply mix the egg white into the slushy mixture with a fork, whisk, electric hand mixer or spatula to break up the ice crystals. Spoon the mixture into the ice lolly moulds. Insert a stick in the centre of each lolly and freeze for 4-6 hours, until completely solid.
- When ready to serve, dip the moulds in hot water for a few seconds to loosen the ice lollies and serve immediately.